Trey Wilson began his journey in the cutting arena in Texas but later made his way to Alabama and then to Georgia. He and his wife Priscilla run their training program based in Georgia side by side everyday. They also are in a long time family cattle business started by Pricilla's father. Here are a few things that you might not know about Trey and how he made it to where he is today. Be sure to also check out his CHC Trainer Profile!
1. When did you first get involved with horses and what led you to the sport of Cutting?
My family always had some sort of ranch type horse to ride, and I showed 4H some when I was really young.
2. Who influenced you through the beginning of your career?
Sam Shepard and Pat Earnhardt had the most positive influence on me starting out, but my wife, Priscilla, and her father, Charles Crawley (former cutting trainer), are the ones that pushed me to build my business.
3. What got you hooked on the sport?
My grandmother bought my 1st NCHA membership when I was about 7 years old. Watching the NCHA world finals in Houston, TX, and visiting with Greg Welch in the stands (who was good friends with my family) got me introduced to cutting. My 1st time to ride a show (cutting) horse was in 1992 at Mark Mills’, and I have loved the thrill of cutting ever since.
4. What has been the most meaningful memory for you in the show pen?
Making the Limited Open Futurity Finals on a horse my dad and I bought as a yearling, and I trained
5. This sport is very trying, what is something that keeps you going on a day to day basis?
I enjoy watching the progression of the horses I train from working them day to day, to seeing them succeed in the show pen.
6. What is something you do for fun when you aren’t riding?
Drive the tractor and repair things on the ranch
7. What is something that people might not know about you?
I enjoy cooking gourmet meals
8. You have quite a few amateur and non pro clients, what is some advice you could give someone getting into the sport?
Be honest with yourself……….surround yourself with a group of people that you enjoy and who encourage you to be your best. We really emphasize having a positive environment for our clients to learn in & succeed with……we are always cheering each other on!
9. What is your favorite quote?